Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

You Are Mine Review




Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.

My Take:

5 (or 10 if the rating went that high) stars!! 

Would I recommend to others:  Absolutely!
Appropriate for 14 and under:  Yes
Language and sexual content:  None/none

Since this is my blog, I can rave and comment until my heart is content, so this is what I'm going to do.  Hopefully I don't give too much of the book away, but you'll walk away wanting to read this book, if you haven't already by reading the synopsis.

Let me start off by saying, Janeal, you are brilliant!  I'm so glad that your dream of writing your book finally happened for you.  But I'm even more glad, that after our morning walks a few years ago, your dream came to "paper" so I could enjoy it too!  Congrats, my friend.  Your book is amazing!  Job well done!

I was so intrigued after reading what the book was about, that I stopped reading my "next book" and started reading this one.  For those of you who know me, you'll know of my struggles in life.  For those of you who don't, well...let me just say that I know what it's like to be beaten, both physically and emotionally.  And I know how Serena feels to have her freedom taken away, but to want to fight it daily.  I also know what it's like to find solace and strength in another person, but it taking years to let go of the fear of trusting someone enough and giving them the power to hurt you.  And to find yourself stronger because of this person and the faith they have in you, and falling endlessly head over heels in love with the man for it.  For this part, I thank my husband, who is my strength and my true love.

Serena comes across to me as a very beautiful, willful girl.  She has a beautiful, strong spirit that her father is determined to break, then mold to his advantage.  She reaches the age of "adulthood" and it's time for her to be married off.  To women of this time, this means more "ownership" of them and more, if not worse, punishments doled out by their new "master", their intended husband.

It was a true inspiration to me to watch Serena grow, as she's handed over to the man, the barbarian, who "wins" her hand.  To watch her test her boundaries and her feelings.  The last 20% of this book had me on the edge of my seat, my heart in anguish for many of the characters.  I couldn't even put it down to eat!  I absolutely loved the ending, it brought me to tears.  And I'm going to anxiously await Janeal to write her next book.  Hopefully I don't bug her too much, or start stalking her...lol.  Anyway, go grab your copy of this book, you'll love it!  And make sure you stop by Janeal's author page on Facebook.  She's such a sweet, honest person and you'll love knowing her.  

Now to go finish Clockwork Princess.....

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, thank you so much, Liz! I'm so glad that you liked it. And you'd have to get pretty crazy before I'd worry about stalking, lol. Thanks again, Liz!

    ReplyDelete