Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Wide Awake Review

**Sorry I went out of order a little bit.  Yesterday I wanted a good book to read and this is the one I picked.  Please stay tuned for the review on Octavian's Undoing shortly.



A girl.
A coma.
A life she can't remember.

When Emma Walker wakes up in the hospital with no knowledge of how she got there, she learns that she's been in a coma for six months. Strangers show up and claim to be her parents, but she can't remember them. She can't remember anyone. Not her friends, not even her boyfriend. Even though she can't remember, everyone wants her to just pick up where she left off, but what she learns about the 'old her' makes her start to wish she'd never woken up. Her boyfriend breaks up with the new girl he's dating to be with her, her parents want her to start planning for college, her friends want their leader back, and her physical therapist with the hazel eyes keeps his distance to save his position at the hospital.

Will she ever feel like she recognizes the girl in the mirror?

My Take:
5 Stars!!

Would I recommend this to others:  Yes
Appropriate for 14 and under:  maybe
Language and sexual content:  none/very mild

Oh my goodness! I didn't think I could love a book as much as I loved Shelly's Significance series, but THIS IS IT!!
*****SPOILERS below, continue at your own risk*****
 

It was touching to me, remembering the place in life the author was in at the time it was written and this touched me even more than the book would have (see her blog for info), if the circumstances were different. This book was so believable and wonderfully refreshing. I struggled with the relationships between Emma and her parents. As a parent, my heart was crying out for the parents as they struggled to get to know their daughter again. But on the other hand, I was frustrated with their efforts (or lack their of), as I felt they went around things all wrong. I'm SO happy things worked out and in Shelly's own way on this one. It made for a great story.

Then there's Mason *sigh*, what a hottie! I love how he was unwaveringly supportive to Emma, his mother and his brother.  I loved seeing his determination to set things right with his brother, no matter the cost.  And the first meeting between Emma and his mom?  I loved it.  My favorite part was how flustered he became when he was waiting for Emma to clue in to what was going on.  Every girl deserves to be loved and kissed and treated the way that this young man treats Emma.  I'm so glad he was there to show her she didn't need to settle back into her own life, with her ex (jerk of a) boyfriend.

Way to go, Shelly, another great story...and did I mention I read it in one afternoon? ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment